Friday 10 February 2012

Five minute Friday: Trust

Around here we write for five minutes flat on Fridays.

We write because we want to, not because we have to. We write for fun, for joy, for discovery. On Fridays we just write without worrying if it’s just right or not. Won’t you join us? Five Minute Friday

GO

When I was younger, people often told me I was too trusting. It was a major source of disappointment on several occasions. If someone asks me to do something or I offer to do something, I do it. If I have to take good care of something, I do. Somehow we always expect the people around us to be like us but the reality is that so often they aren't.

Now that I'm an adult - at least in age! - I find myself at the opposite end of the spectrum. Not in the way I behave but in how I see others. Especially since having children. Trusting others with my children, well, there just aren't really words for it. Even my husband, who is a fantastic dad - he just isn't me! The step towards choosing daycare was a tough one. How could anyone else be trusted with the most precious creatures in my world? But trust I did and this time, I wasn't disappointed. After having my second child, I suffered from post-natal depression and that brought with it an onslaught of fear and distrust. Leaving my kids behind for just an hour was a complete wrench. I hated feeling that way. When I recently had to go on a business trip, the first since having kids, I was so worried all those old feelings would come flooding back. However, I trusted in my husband, in my neighbours, in school, in daycare and I really trusted with my whole being. And you know what? They all proved to be trustworthy. Sometimes you just have to trust in trust.

STOP

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have people in your life that you can trust. It makes leaving our children easier when we know they are taken care of and loved. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Somehow we always expect the people around us to be like us but the reality is that so often they aren't." this is truth. I often forget that not everyone thinks like me.
    I too often don't fully trust those who aren't me to take care of my children. Such a blessing it is when we have people who we do trust to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very true! No one is us, but they are just as capable. It's so hard to trust others to fill in for us, particularly when we ourselves have felt the sting of disappointment.

    ReplyDelete