Friday 24 February 2012

Five minute Friday: Grit

On Fridays we write like we believe we can fly. Won’t you join us? Five Minute Friday

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.


GO

Last week I had lunch with an ex-colleague. We talked about where our lives had taken us since we last met and she told me that I was strong, that I was brave, that I had grit. This surprised me because I really don't see myself that way. She meant that she was impressed with the way I had picked up my life again after being made redundant and then losing my dad so suddenly.
That doesn't make it any less surprising to me. In these economically difficult times, so many people are being made redundant. Some even lose entire companies, their companies, so being out of work for a short while is really not something that takes grit to overcome, I feel. As for losing my dad - for me that was briefly the end of the world but I have two very young sons who still have an entire world to discover and I am privileged that I can accompany them on at least part of that journey. I really don't see myself as someone with grit, per se. I'm just a mum and a wife and a daughter and a friend, getting on with life and making the most of it. I have found a new job that I like and I'm still grieving for my dad (does that ever stop?) but it hurts just a little bit less each day. If that means I have grit, then sure, I'm one gritty girl! I just think it means I have a lot to live for and to be happy about, grit or not.

STOP

3 comments:

  1. Liesbeth, So sorry about the loss of your dad...Having young children is incredibly life changing and emotionally difficult a lot of the time...to lose a parent in the middle of it, I can't even imagine, is so hard...

    I think you, we, moms in general...have a lot more "grit" than we think. We think we are not strong, but somehow we face challenges head on. I think our children, in some ways, give us the courage to do that. We become stronger because we have to be strong for them.

    Blessings to you...And, I think you're on the right path...We are supposed to give thanks in the midst of all things and it sounds like you are a strong woman who continues to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! That is so encouraging. Perhaps I do have a little more grit than I give myself credit for...

      Delete
  2. so sorry about your grief over your father. i agree with Lisa, us moms have more grit and are stronger than we think ourselves to be! good post.

    blessings, friend

    ReplyDelete